802: Religion and Work: Antisemitism, Islamophobia and More | Sessions
This workshop will focus on:
- The broad definition of religious beliefs under Title VII and specific protections beyond “religion” for Jews, Muslims, Sikhs and other ethno-religious groups;
- The definition of Antisemitism (which goes beyond hostility toward Jews);
- Identifying specific examples of workplace discrimination and harassment with a focus on Antisemitism and Islamophobia but also including examples involving Christians and Hindus;
- Strengthening HR policies, management training and employment practices to prevent and respond to discrimination against and harassment of religious identities;
- Upgrading policies and practices with regard to religious accommodations in light of the higher burden on employers to establish undue hardship;
- Resolving potential conflicts between DEI efforts and certain religious beliefs;
- Evaluating whether and how to respond to proud and public displays of Antisemitism;
- Incorporating religious identity into DEI efforts to enhance belonging; and
- Navigating religious holidays and workplace conversations on faith, etc.
- The legal framework for addressing religious discrimination, harassment and accommodations.
- Enhancing HR policies, management training and employment practices to prevent workplace bias and to provide religious accommodations.
- The connection between religious identity and culture with a focus on DEI