701: Leadership Skills for the Senior Executive: Mastering the Art of Negotiation | Sessions
If you think negotiating skills are only for salespeople, think again! Every single relationship in your work life entails some negotiation. True, it's often linked to sales (or business), but that limited perspective ignores the fact that negotiation pervades all aspects of the HR professional's life. Trying to increase your company's productivity levels? Considering expanding product lines (and therefore people)? Buying a competitor? Going global? Leading a team to increase your employee's engagement level? Attempting to get the best deal from your new benefits provider? Asking for your own well-deserved promotion? In all of these situations, you'll have to negotiate to succeed. This session will review the eight critical success factors to succeed in a negotiation: 1) Goals, 2) Trade-offs, 3) Alternatives, 4) Relationships, 5) Expected Outcomes, 6) the Consequences, 7) Balance of Power and 8) Determining Win-Win Solutions either live OR via zoom.
- Overcome the zoom divide to get to the heart of the other side's concerns during negotiations.
- Discuss the 5 Negotiation Styles (Avoid, Compete, Accommodate, Collaborate, Compromise) and when to employ (and avoid) each.
- Use objective vs. subjective negotiation criteria.
- Reframe negative internal conversations that can sabotage your negotiation prowess.
- Properly prepare to prevent a lousy outcome for you!
To view all event accessibility & accommodations details, visit here.
If a speaker has provided session materials, visit presentations.shrm.org.