Managing the Benefits and Potential Pitfalls of a Remote Workplace | Sessions
Remote work arrangements were accommodations before the COVID-19 pandemic but since March 2020 remote work has become a reality for most employers. Requiring or allowing employees to work remotely has its advantages ( e.g. recruitment, retention, cost containment etc.) but there are potential disadvantages too ( e.g. demands for unlimited accommodations and disparate treatment claims from others, IP theft, lack of integration, harassment, wage and hour issues etc.) . This session will review both benefits and potential legal and cultural pitfalls with remote work. This session will also assist with highlighting best practices, developing strategies for evaluating remote work and navigating legal issues to reduce the risk of claims.
- Review the legal issues associated with remote work.
- Discuss the accommodation process involved with these decisions.
- Remind attendees of the importance of documentation with these arrangements.
- Review the benefits of remote work arrangements.
- Discuss the potential pitfalls of remote work.
- Propose strategies for addressing each such arrangement.
- Suggest ways to monitor remote work and avoid workplace claims.
In-person session offerings are on a first-come, first-served basis.